Friday, April 16, 2004

By the way. I've been thinking.

The only thing that let us down this season (and bizarrely probably cost us promotion cos no way are TVS or MDM that much better than us) was fitness. Sounds weird? Work it out, football-wise those teams weren't better than us, we beat TVS and held MDM to a draw when we'd had much more of the game than them. But we lost to both those teams too, and got pounced on by Partick in both games. At no time did they outplay us though, we were never holding on for dear life against them, we gave away sloppy goals and in the two defeats to TVS and MDM, we ran out of ideas, steam and motivation. That comes from fitness. If you're feeling sharp and willing then you're better prepared to fightback when you go a goal down, something we fell foul to in both those games. I'm convinced of this. So, the upshot is, that in pre-season and in-season training throughout next season, as well as the five-a-side which I think worked wonders for us this season, there'll be a heavier emphasis on the good old fitness stuff. I'm already looking into this and finding smarter, more effective ways of training, but we'll all be fit young men through next season. It might hurt a bit during training, but you all know that you feel better for it afterwards.

There, I've said my piece, now I'll go.