Monday, February 12, 2007

Welcome back to the Reading contingent. Turns out you didn't miss a thing while you were away. Training snowed off on Thursday and game postponed due to the pitch stilll being underwater.

Julie and I ventured to Reading versus Villa on Saturday. Reading were quite good, Villa were very poor. Only one team was ever going to win it.

But that ground - stuck in the middle of nowhere, no pubs for a 3 mile radius and the bar in the ground was that bad that we only had time for one beer (necked as well) before the game. At halftime I left 5 minutes before the whistle, got in the queue 3 people away from the front, got my beer as the second half kicked off. There were more security staff behind the bar than around the pitch cos they could see things getting kind of tense. Fucking useless.

Then after the game, oh shit I forgot we're in the middle of fucking nowhere. Not getting in that 4 hour queue for the bus, we'll get out on the road and flag down a cab. Just over an hour later we trudged into Reading town centre, having walked all the way... Awful ground for away fans, takes all the fun out of going to a game. I'd been really looking forward to it as well.

A few beers in the Sahara bar finally helped, but the damage was done. Reading fans get extra press-ups on Thursday.

The only good thing about it was, I think for the first time ever in my football supporting life, I was not sat in front of, behind or next to a complete cock. It was quite pleasant. (Although I did see one Villa fan having a go at the Reading fans by shouting "Apples and Pears" which I found quite funny but not for the reason he thought...