Monday, October 02, 2006

Matt dissed my club so I told him he was dropped.

Then I realised that's not my decision to make these days so I said shit.

Then I thought I'd appeal to the gaffer to drop him on my request so I said Smurf.

So, to the game.

We started well and within a couple of minutes Gareth had broken free (again) down the left hand side, cut back and put in a difficult cross which their centre back totally skewed his clearance and saw the ball loop over his keeper and into the net.

It became apparent from this point on that Meadway are in fact, utter shite. Friendly team, hardly anything for the ref to do during the game, nice blokes, shite.

But it started raining hard and for some reason we had a bit of a quiet spell. Were certainly never really under pressure but Smurf had to produce one save from Genghis and then another (good one) to stop the ball going straight in from a corner in the swirling wind and rain. That was about it though and pretty soon Gareth again broke free and was working well with Andy Miller and Matt to work the ball down the left hand side. The ball went into the box, pinged out a bit and Gareth fired it home from just inside the area for 2-0.

Then we must have had about 5 or 6 chances to score but for some reason it kept coming down to the players' wrong feet, or they were trying too hard, or something would get in the way, or they were snatching at it and not making use of the time and space they had. Played some lovely football with Matty and Adam spraying the ball out to the wings and then powering forward to support the attacks.

Wayne eventually got a bit of space and fired the ball home to make it 3 for half time.

Second half started and we were all over them again. Their back four couldn't stop anything going straight through them and at some point after about 10 minutes Wayne got his second (can't actually remember the goal I'm afraid...)

Then Crabbeman, Macca and I came on for Ads, Ben and Miller respectively and from then on it was game over. We got the ball on the edge of our own box and it didn't leave the ground from there even as it crossed the line for our 5th. Total football up the right hand side of the pitch, 6 or 7 passes until Macca passed it across the 6 yard box for me to slot home. Lovely team goal.

Then we went down the right again and I crossed the ball for Gareth to have a strike, when it pinged back out Matty took one touch to kill it and then fired it low and hard to make it 6. Then we had a few corners and Matty took a quality curling far poster for Hilly to arrive and nod it home (I could have got a touch on it but was worried about deflecting it over so I left it) for 7.

We really could have had a hatful more, missed more than we scored but played some good stuff and should look forward to playing them again sometime. Easy.