Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Yeah fair points - the "miss a game" rule was something I put in when the squad got to be of a certain size, it was the only way to be fair and yes sometimes it did mean I started a tough game with a different team than the one I would probably have preferred to choose - but it worked cos I stuck to it religiously, so although people would sometimes think that it wasn't the best idea, considering we had a scratch team out on the pitch and three strong players on the bench, at least everyone knew why that was the case.

Most people have a holiday, or an illness, or a family commitment, so everyone gets a turn at missing a match - and while that system was in force, we won the league, so it can be made to work, it's just sometimes it does feel as though you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. In my mind though, the alternative was worse for many reasons, which is why I stuck to it. I just couldn't justify doing it any other way.

But that was my way of doing things, I'm more than happy for whoever is manager next season to introduce their own 'rules' and 'thresholds'. All I did was took all the bits I've liked about my past managers from school footy up to my Sunday footy in Manchester and put them all together, then got the hang of it and put in a few things of my own. The best thing I introduced ever was the murder run. Made an instant difference to the whole squad. So people can take the bits they liked about how did it, drop the rest and pull in bits they like from their own experience.

What's the word on the streets for names coming forward anyway?