Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Just checking with Crossy mate, last I heard he was happy to have the space, but will confirm later today for you.

I'm turning up on Sunday, better than lying around feeling hungover. Plus I've been doing a load of fitness stuff recently so I want to find out whether it's worth it or not...

The season we won the league, we conceded less goals than most clubs in the NSDFL and we did it because a) we had the motivation to after a good start to the season and b) the defence got into the habit of squeezing out after every attack had broken down. We kind of carried it on last season (hence why Partick gave us such a shock mauling cos they exploited the space that was left in behind) but yes this season just gone we sat back and got a bit lazy (not blaming the defence, the whole team just had a rest this season and one of the symptoms of that is defending too deep). For my part I just couldn't find the energy to sort it out, when it's quite simple really, which is one of the reasons I realised that I was probably not the best candidate for manager anymore and maybe my time had passed.

But yes I agree, a fit and disciplined defence is the backbone of any decent team. It has a physical effect on the opposition attackers cos it knackers them out having to track back after they've just bust a gut trying to score, and it has a psychological effect on them too because they can see straight away that they're up against an organised defence, so their expectations or scoring are lowered, attitude and effort lowers as a result, thereby making it easier on the defence, and a vicious circle ensues to the point where the attacker is left holding on to the will to live by a thread, crying and quivering on the penalty spot, blatantly offside. Hope that's explained the importance of it.

Anyone who is coming on Sunday and is coming to Newquay, can you bring your £15 deposit with you, that would be cosmic. Can someone let Crabbeman know that on top of that he owes me another £16 for his two bookings late in the season, which I've paid for him at the moment.

As for Neil, yeah I got wind of him not playing anymore. Like I said, shame for anyone to leave and especially as he's spent quite some time with us, but we can only move forward and we've easily got a good enough squad to not feel too much of a negative effect.

That said, does anyone know whether the striker from the PO is set to sign for us? And is Rob definitely coming back to play? He was a good player and had good attitude, so he'd be a strong re-addition...