Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Ok smurfy I will - will try and get them to write a song about Shefford FC. Tons of rhymes available - wee, pee, glee, free, me, thee, he, she, we, gee, bee, knee, see, tea, key, pea, twee, glee, lee, fee, dee, v, serendipity, man this thing writes itself.

Johnny there are about 8 different reasons that we only drew on Sunday. Fraid "missed chances" has to weigh up there with the best of them. Dave was guilty of missing of a couple of early chances, then the keeper made many fine saves including two that 9 times out of ten would have gone in, then I missed one of the easiest chances ever right at the end of the game. I made it myself too, so if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have looked like a dick, like I did.

Overall play was very poor too - we had on numerous occasions people passing the ball round us and running on to receive the ball back completely unchallenged and unmarked. The first goal and the penalty were purely down to this, where we had the same number of people as them in the same place, but two or more of our players were following either the same player or the ball, meaning they had at least one player in a ton of space. Dunno why that's started happening, our awareness has just disappeared.

And defending then, because of that, wasn't the greatest. At times it was fine, but for some reason (and again this is all over the pitch, not just the back four at all) we don't seem to be able to head the ball anymore. Whether it's because we've got used to playing no over head height at training I don't know, but we can't win any headers from goal kicks and when the ball was coming across our box or into our area in the air, it was dropping every time (except when Ashley the new keeper was coming out to punch it). But otherwise everytime it was falling to the ground and, because of the awareness, typically falling to their players.

I can't remember who said it but they were right - it's not as though we're even challenging in the air and losing out, it's that somehow we never have anyone even near the ball when it's dropping from the air, so they're getting it easy. Maybe it's a training thing, maybe it's a mental thing.

To be fair, a very slight change in luck and we could have played badly like that and still come away with all 3 points. That said, they had the ball over the line at one point but the ref couldn't see it properly so didn't give a goal, but other than that they rarely troubled our keeper, whereas their keeper made a string of good saves and we were guilty of not putting away a host of chances to either make the game comfortable before they came back and equalised, then the main chance at the end for me to win it.

I think, in general, everybody needs to have a good look at themselves before next Sunday and work out whether they're pulling their weight or at their best recently. It seems that since our little run of good wins and me saying that key players were starting to produce good stuff at the right time, that the same key players have stopped doing that. And I say that with no "high and mighty" feeling cos I know that I was far from my best on Sunday myself.

It was a very frustrating game, but it puts pay to any discussion about promotion, etc, so should enable people to just take some time to focus on their own game and we should see some improvement over the next few weeks. Don't worry about whether we win or not or score 10 goals or not, just play some decent football and tighten things up a bit.

Just my opinion.

Also, I don't know whether anyone else feels this way, but I've found in the last two games that I'm struggling to kick the ball properly, can't lift it or get any power into it - and I'm wondering whether that's a product of a season of indoor training with a lighter ball and no grass...?