Monday, October 04, 2004

Before I comment on the game yesterday, I just want to apologise publicly (Blog-icly) to Paul for subbing him off yesterday. Paul always reacts a bit if he hears his name called out to come off, just cos he wants to play as much footy as possible, which is fine I don't mind that, but yesterday I got it wrong - I thought he had played the full 90 last week, it was only after the game that I found out that he'd been subbed then too. In which case, in normal circumstances I wouldn't have subbed him, I'd have looked at someone else to make way for Browny, and as Browny is fairly versatile, that could have been one of about 5 or 6 other players. With a squad our size there's no major reason for someone to come off two weeks in a row, so that was my f*ck up. As it was Paul had had a stormer of a first half and was doing the same, maybe looking a little tired but as we know even when he looks tired he can still pop up with a goal or two. So I just wanted everyone to know that he's not an automatic choice to come off when subs are about to be made and if it seems that way after the last couple of games then that's cos I hadn't caught up with Genghis properly after the win against Shalbourne. There.

So anyway, good game yesterday gents. Nice easy victory, I was a little disappointed in Bell FC, I thought they might at least test us a bit, but there you go. We kept our energy levels up as much as possible but did get dragged down to their level a bit going forward, just cos the marking was so poor that we were trying to score too quickly in a move. But good to see that we never lost our concentration at the back - I wasn't joking when I said I wanted no shots in the full 90 minutes and I think I can allow you the one scuffed attempt in the first half cos he'd have had to have hit it perfectly to get it in from where he was, so that was excellent to see. Cleanest sheet I've ever seen I think. Even my gloves were clean.

Good to see Neil get off the mark too, with a typically confident penalty. And our first goal of the season contender with Dave's second goal.

Bit of shooting practice required at some point, as after being 2 up inside 2 minutes, we should have really been pushing for double figures there, but we'll take the win and hope for another exotic away trip in the next round...