Monday, September 27, 2004

Well the player from Shefford has filled out a signing on form and I've sent it in so he's officially signed on. However, he also said that he plays as striker so when I heard that Neil had done his knee in I told him that he was playing on Sunday. He said he'd have been coming down to watch anyway so he was looking forward to playing - then he didn't turn up. So we'll see what happens with that one.

Then Dave Lewis' mate (forgot his name) who has been down watching us for the last few weeks asked yesterday whether he could sign for us too. He knows what he's up against in terms of squad size and selection policy, but he's still keen, so he's going to come along on Thursday to training and we'll take it from there. Means we've got a squad to envy Chelsea FC, but we've already got a few players out injured and I think the quality of the division has improved so new players, although not needed, are still welcome if they think they can add to the squad.

Other than Danny who happened to role up as a striker just at the right time and would have started on Sunday if a) Neil had decided that his knee wasn't up to it and b) he'd actually turned up - he and other new players in this season will all face the same issues in breaking into the team. That said, at the moment the team is yet to settle down, what with holidays, injuries, my selection techniques and general availability, etc... So it's all still to settle a little.

In a way, I'm probably looking more to next season, if Beeny's going to Essex, being realistic I'm not really able to play out on pitch anymore, Paul Curtis can't go on forever (or can he?) and Hilly shows no sign of it but must be at the stage now where he's considering how much further he intends to go - that's quite a chunk potentially not continuing and I need to make sure there's a future beyond the current season.

Basically, I'm not changing the way I do things, we've been here before with a large squad - I've not gone out looking for new players (never have actually) and we've got a large squad (always have had actually) and it's always worked out in the past so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this season. If people start getting itchy about lack of games etc then we'll talk about it and I'll see what I can do, certainly don't want to lose anyone, hopefully it won't come to that for anyone.

What about you Matt - if you had to put a timescale on when you realistically think you'll be back to play, are you looking at the New Year?