Friday, September 03, 2004

This season's signed on Shefford FC squad is:-

Adam
Andy
Beeny
Browny
Colin
Crabbeman
Dave Lewis
Genghis
Hilly
Dave Frew
Jamie
John
Matt
Neil
Paul
Shane
Smurf
Tony

Which brings us up to last season's 18. Hopefully Craig will be back around again before too long and will have to take it easy with his back but at least back around. Good news that Jamie Taylor has signed on for us again as there's no doubt he's a quality player.

The bad news is that until everyone starts going on holidays and stuff it presents me with a bit of a selection headache. Mr Frew is out for Sunday after some axe-man clobbered him last night and his old ankle injury has flared up to the size of a cow. Still leaves me with a 15-fit man squad to choose from for the first game of the season, meaning someone obviously won't get a game even though they turn up on Sunday. I have 4 subs, including me, so if I can name 4 then we'll just see how the game goes, but if the ref makes me name 3 then I'll have to make the decision there and then. Expensive gifts will not be shunned.

I'm hoping to leave it like that for this week as it's the first game of the season, then we can start to sort things out after that - to keep things in the tradition of squad decision making that I've always tried to employ, it will be likely that it's some of the new/returning squad members that might have to start on the bench or sadly sit out this week. Bear in mind however, that we had the same size squad last season and very rarely did I have to leave people out completely in the end, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Post Office will be a different team from the bunch of f-wits they were last season, so expect a tough challenge. I have no doubt we'll put goals past them, but I expect them to threaten us a bit more than they might have done in previous seasons, so I want everyone turning up switched on and ready to go. We're going to have to work hard this season to match last season's achievements, but then we worked hard last season too, so anything is possible. It's alright to play against good teams, cos we're a good team too, remember those close matches last season between us and TVS and us and MDM? Shows that we're capable of coming up against the best in Div 1 and holding our own. Bring it on.