Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"If you cut me, I bleed red." Should have put that on our new club badge...

I can understand that signing for a Saturday side is an attractive prospect, but two games in a weekend is quite a drain on your time. If you're prepared to do that then I've got no problem with it at all - might even improve someone's game (that's not a dig at anyone!) There's a greater risk of injuries but then some players go their whole career without injury and some players get injured on their debut, you can't predict it or stop it.

However, if the Saturday games start impacting on the Sunday games, that can cause problems - we've got a big squad of players wanting games on a Sunday and I've built the club by trying to be as fair as possible with team places - even if that means going out with a sub-optimal team. That way everyone knows (more or less) where they stand. Would seem a shame to lose out on a place in a Sunday team that Dave reckons is good enough to beat a Saturday team anyway...

It's obviously nice to be flattered and knowing someone wants you to play for them, but I want everyone I've got signed on to play for Shefford more than anyone else can ever want them, cos I was here before all of you (other than Hilly and Genghis) so I've seen you come, train, stay and grow into a pretty damn strong team and blokes that I'm happy to share a beer with in some of the dodgier bars of Blackpool. And I've seen some people come and go as well, Shefford's not everyone's cup of tea the way the club works, which is fine, I'm not after popularity, I just want to play and watch good footy and enjoy myself while I'm at it.

Now if someone like Thatcham or AFC Newbury showed signs of interest, I'd gladly pack your bags, wash your boots and come and watch, cos obviously you'd get me tickets to the Directors' Bar.

Besides, the way we reacted to conceding a bit of a soft goal on Sunday, I'm not sure there's many clubs in the world that have the kind of spirit we showed in that instant. Julie had tears in her eyes. Matt's Dad started singing the national anthem and Patch (Smurf's old man) shouted "bloody useless the lot of yur!" (s'not true - he came up to me in the second half and complimented me on the way you were all playing, not much higher praise around...)

Training on Thursday usual time/place, but after that I think we should consider moving indoors again cos it's getting dark earlier and earlier...