Monday, September 13, 2004

The board have given me their full backing.

After I'd calmed down a bit yesterday afternoon (and needed a lift home from Steve the landlord) my reaction to the game was two-fold...

1. Who cares? It was a dreadful display and there's not much we can take from it other than I didn't think Travellers Friend were that good at all and I'm not scared about facing them in the league. If either of our early chances had gone in the game would have been completely different, they got the luck with the wind and had it in the first half which, as we learned so effectively against Shalbourne, is better than having the wind in the second half when you're already down.

2. Bit disappointed with everyone's application yesterday, dunno whether it was cos of a big Saturday night, or because it was the cup, or because let's face it we let in some embarassing goals 'early doors' and they have a massively damaging psychological effect - probably a combination of all of that and more. But I think that not much more belief and not much more desire would have got us back into that game and I reckon we were easily capable of pulling back a 4 goal defecit against them - they really weren't anything special at all.

But it's not the first time we'll pull out a performance like that from nowhere and I guess it won't be the last. Lets put it behind us and concentrate on Hampstead Norreys - a match for which I pleasantly surprised yesterday to find that our squad will be more normal than I had expected. HN weren't altogether awful last season, we only beat them 1-0 at home and 4 or 5-2 away, so it won't be easy but a good chance none-the-less to get another 3 points in the league. Then the week after that we might have an easier tie against NTS Casuals in the Bowness Cup.