Monday, August 09, 2004

Well there we go, yesterday was something to put down to experience.

The experience of turning up with half a squad to play against a fully functioning, possibly peaking too soon, fit, agile and skillfull premier division hopeful team.

Also the experience of giving away a soft goal straight from kick off.

Also the experience of playing 90 minutes and only making the keeper make one 'save' and even that was cos he didn't control the ball properly and I was able to stick a toe in, only to see it hit his leg anyway.

Still, for a lot of us, that's the first friendly out of the way, and I think for those who were there it was a lesson in how much we (definitely including me) lack a bit of match sharpness and need more friendlies to work on basics like controlling the ball, kicking the ball, etc.

But we knew what we were up against and I think we kept ourselves pretty cheerful considering, and the goals did come in spurts - and in between those spurts we did show that we could defend quite well against a team that good, so things could have been a lot worse.

Wonder whether that ginger was the one who broke my arm? Tony and Julie both seemed to think he was, I'm just glad Smurf was in goal and not me.

Will let everyone know about the friendly next Sunday....