Monday, August 18, 2003

Neil's right, we did only lose 3-1 to them a couple of seasons ago in the cup, but to be fair to them they had a few players out that day, but the scoreline definitely flattered them. As it did yesterday, I thought we were absolutely awesome. I only had a penalty to save in the first 60 minutes of football which shows how tight we're going to be at the back again this season. Of course, I let it in, but that's not the point. And all this talk of me being back this season was put firmly into place by the best linking up of Neil and Dave I think we've ever seen. Loads of chances created. Really I can't complain at all, I think if Smurf had been in goal we'd have won it and on another day we'd have put 6 or 7 past them. Think how many times I changed the team around and everyone who came on/off settled into the game straight away. We worked the channels brilliantly and gave them only 4 chances to score in the whole game. I know...

But yes, major dilemma, all the new signings did great, all the old players did great, how the f*ck do you pick a starting 11 out of that? Wish I was going to Dublin. I think everyone's just going to have to bear with it. The first team I pick will NOT be the team I think will play week in week out, everyone will have to do their best to take their chances and keep their position, but sometimes may have to sit out purely cos it's somebody else's go. We've lost Harry this season, he's signing for Brimpton, but was too chicken to play yesterday (and had tickets for Liverpool v Chelsea).

For my part, I want to be fitter and more able to do a decent job when I get my chance, but I'm quite happy with Neil and Dave up front. Seems a shame to put Neil in midfield when we've got so many other midfielders all fighting for a spot, but some games maybe it'll work out better that way. We will just have to wait and see. I have no more claim to a starting spot than anyone else, probably less.

We're confirmed in Div 1 next season, which is lucky cos due to team numbers, Hermitage Reserves will face another season in Div 2!!! Thank f*ck we won it. How gutted would you be to have gone through all that and have to go through it all again?

Bad news is the league starts on 31st August, we're meant to be playing Vodafone, so I'll have to see what I can do about that. There's a spare week a couple of weeks into the season so I'll ask if I can move the game to then. Otherwise we'll just have to send those players not coming to blackpool to play against them, so good luck Hilly, Colin and Jamie. Not a bad defense at least.

Great game yesterday everyone, I was really chuffed, losing was a minor irritation, I never expected to play so well and I'm looking forward to the season more than ever. Hard work, some good games, some bad games, but no reason to be scared of anyone.